If you’re searching for everything about a Pug English bulldog mix, and planning to get one, this is for you.on getting a puppy, and would love to get a pug and bulldog mix.
In this article, we will talk about:
- What is a Pug English Bulldog mix
- Pug English bulldog health and nutrition
- Exercise & Training of an English bulldog pug mix
- The personality of a Pug English bulldog mix
- The price of a Pug English bulldog mix
- Lots more
Let’s get started.
What is a Pug English Bulldog Mix?
A pug English bulldog, popularly known as the bull pug, is a designer breed that came from crossing a purebred pug with an English bulldog.
The pug English bulldog mix is classified as a medium-sized dog. They have a strong rear, broad shoulders, huge spherical head, and a short, fine coat.
The bull pug mostly comes in white, fawn, brindle or patched coat, although it’s possible to see other variations. They’re moderately energetic, loving and get along very well with kids.
1. Pug and English Bulldog mix vital stats
Other names: Mini bulldog, bull-pug, miniature bulldog
Temperament: Friendly, Courageous, Calm
Weight: 20-40 pounds
Height: 12-16 inches
Lifespan: 9-13 years
Coat: smooth, sleek, short
Colors: fawn, white, brindle, silver, black
2. History of the Pug English Bulldog (Miniature Bulldog)
The miniature bulldog is a hybrid of a Pug and an English bulldog, it’s a designer dog to obtain the appearance of the English bulldog while getting the small size of a pug.
No one knows when the crossbreed of the pug and English bulldog happened, but the hybrid became very noticeable and popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
3. English Bulldog Pug Mix Appearance
(image source, Pinterest)
Here is a vivid description of an English bulldog pug mix:
- They have a huge round head, with a medium-short muzzle
- Their eyes are dark and are set low and wide on their forehead’s frontal plane.
- They have massive, broad, and muscular shoulders
- They have very flesh and pendulous lips
- They have a curled tail
4. Pug English Bulldog Cross Height & Weight
The bull-pug weighs between 20-40 pounds on average, but it’s normal for the male to weigh more.
The English bulldog Pug cross stands between 12 and 16 inches tall.
5. Pug English Bulldog Mix Skin & Coat
An English bulldog pug has a short, sleek, and fine coat. Pugs have a double coat, while bulldogs have a single coat. That means that some English bulldog pug will have a single coat, while others will have a double coat.
When it comes to colors, an English bulldog pug mix is likely to be a mixture of two colors, but they all have white patches. The most common colors include:
Pug and English Bulldog Cross Behavior and Personality
Pugs and bulldogs are friendly and sociable, so a bull-pug has the same traits. They are very loving and affectionate, just like their parents.
They love being near their owners and playing with kids. They’re gentle and well-laid, so you don’t have to worry about your kid getting hurt.
When it comes to meeting strangers, it can go two ways. They can either be ignorant like the bulldog or very affectionate like pugs.
Bull-pugs also relate to other canines, especially when they’ve been brought up together. That said, they can be shy with stranger pets. A bull-pug male can also show dominance when around other male dogs as a way of marking territory.
When a bull-pug is young, they’re likely to be very playful as they have a lot of energy. This reduces with age, and they become calm as they age.
English Bulldog Pug Mix Health and Nutrition
Let’s find out what you need to know about the health and nutrition of an English bulldog Pug mix:
An English bulldog pug is prone to obesity because of their pug parent’s genes. Therefore, you have to be cautious with the quality and quantity of food you feed them.
Since they are easy to get fat, you have to be careful in ensuring you feed them with a balanced diet.
Here are some tips:
1. Buy from a reputable brand
Many manufacturers are now making food specifically for puppies, with some manufacturing foods for specific puppy breeds.
Choose a food type that allows optimum growth and development of your English bulldog pug mix.
Be careful to choose the right variety, depending on the age of your bull pug.
2. Bull-Pug home-cooked food
When it comes to home-cooked food, you want to make sure your dog’s food has all the necessary nutrients.
The most critical thing is to observe their carb-protein ratios. Ideally, your bull-pug’s meal should have 25% grains, 25% veggies, and 50% proteins.
Some healthy foods you can include in your English bulldog pug’s diet:
- Sweet potatoes
- chicken, beef or lamb
On the other hand, avoid the following foods to prevent issues:
- Seasonings butter or salt
- Raw potatoes, avocado, green tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onions
- Raisins, grapes, currants
- Wet or canned foods as they may have a high-calorie ratio
3. Feeding Quantity
It’s crucial to be careful with the amount of food you feed your bull-pug. Pay attention to their weight growth, follow a vet’s recommended feeding amounts.
Common Health Issues in Bull Pugs
Contrary to many people’s expectations, mixed breeds are likely to have more health issues than pure breeds.
This is because they’re at risk of getting illnesses from both their birth parents. When it comes to a bull-pug, they’re at risk of getting diseases that attack pugs and bulldogs.
Some of the ailments include:
- Breathing problems
- Yeast infections
- Skin irritation
- Hemi-vertebraeReverse sneezing
- PDE (Pug Dog Encephalitis)
- Hip dysplasia,
- Nerve degeneration
- Cardiovascular disease
It’s crucial to know your bull pug’s health risks before you get them and an approximate of the treatment costs.
While this may seem like a deal-breaker, with the right amount of grooming, exercising, and nutrition, your bull-pug can stay healthy.
Also, consider buying your dog from a professional breeder.
Lastly, make a habit of taking your miniature bulldog to the vet for checkups.
Is A Pug and English Bulldog Mix Right for You?
There are advantages and disadvantages to getting any dog. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of getting an English bulldog pug.
- They’re very affectionate and loving, so you can enjoy lots of cuddles
- Friendly to other dogs, babies, and strangers
- Can live in any apartment
- They’re not clingy and can be left alone with no problems
- They’re prone to multiple illnesses
- They can be snoring loudly because of their pug genes
- They shed a lot
- They may be drool if they take after bulldogs
- They’re very sensitive to temperatures
Pug English Bulldog Mix Exercise and Training
Exercising and training are other crucial factors when it comes to every dog owner. Here is what to expect as an English bulldog pug owner:
Just like its parents, an English bulldog pug doesn’t require a lot of exercises. Ideally, 30 minutes a day is enough to keep them fit.
Due to their medium-sized muzzles, they are likely to struggle with breathing issues. To prevent this from happening, walk them before 10 am or after 5 pm when the sun rays aren’t scorching.
Also, ensure they’re well dehydrated before and during the walk. If you see any signs of tiredness during the walk, allow them to rest and pick up when showing signs of relief.
Keep in mind that Pug English bulldog mixes are prone to obesity, and they’re likely to sleep all day. As a bull pug mix parent, it is your responsibility to ensure they have the right amount of exercise.
Training an English bulldog Pugs cross can either be easy or difficult, depending on which parent’s genes they inherit more.
An English bulldog was bred for bull-baiting, so they were trained to think on their feet. They never spend a lot of time with human beings, so they may be hard to train and stubborn.
On the other hand, a pug is intelligent and was initially bred as a companion dog. Therefore, they are easy to train. However, they’re very sensitive and require positive reinforcement and not shouting.
We recommend you use positive reinforcement to train your bullpug, and be patient with their progress.
Pug English Bulldog Mix Grooming
The other thing you need to do as a Pug and English bulldog parent is grooming your dog. Luckily, they do not require a professional groomer as you can do most of the things by yourself.
Here are the bull pugs grooming activities:
Again, this will depend on the coat of your dog. If they have a pug’s skin, they may need daily brushing as they shed a lot. But if they have a bulldog’s coat, all you need is a quick brush once in a while.
Although bathing your dog frequently sounds like a good idea, it may not do them any good. Too much bathing can disorient their natural oils, which could irritate the skin.
Signs that your bulldog and pug mix needs to bath include:
- Visible dirt on their skin
- Bad odor from their folds
- Or when your bullpug sticks their body in dirty places
If you need to clean your bullpug, you need to handle them very carefully. Here are some guidelines:
- Use a mild shampoo. Harsh shampoo can irritate your dog’s skin as it’s very sensitive.
- Use soft wipes to clean the skin folds. When cleaning your miniature bulldog, avoid washing their facial folds as too much moisture might not be good for them. Instead, use wet wipes to wipe the folds gently.
- Be gentle when cleaning their ears. If your miniature bulldog’s ears have too much wax, it’s time to clean them. To do this, mix half-filtered water with apple cider, deep a ball of cotton wool, and use it to clean your dog’s ears.
3. Nail trimming
Long nails can cause misalignment and cause back issues in the long run. To protect your dog’s joints, make a habit of trimming their nails at least twice a month.
4. Dental Health
It’s essential to keep your dog’s teeth strong and clean. Here is how to accomplish this:
- Daily brushing. Make sure you use dog paste as it doesn’t cause any harm when they swallow it.
- Buy them chewing treats. Ensure you get them healthy treats. You can also get them chewing toys.
- Vet visits. Once in a year or two, take your dog for a dental checkup.
1. How much does an English bulldog pug mix cost?
A Pug and English bulldog mix can cost anywhere between $500 and $ 2500. Yet, it’s essential to buy from a professional breeder to reduce potential health risks.
2. How long do English Bulldog Pug mixes live?
A bull-pug lifespan is 9-13 years on average. However, with good care, they can live even longer.
3. Is a Bull-Pug Hypoallergenic?
When you’re getting a dog, it’s crucial to know whether or not they’re hypoallergenic. Dogs that shed little to no fur are known as hypoallergenic dogs, and they’re best for people with allergies.
Unfortunately, a bull-pug isn’t hypoallergenic because if they inherit the pug’s genes, they’ll shed a lot.
Also, English bulldogs drool a lot, and dog saliva can still be an allergen.
So, if you are prone to any pet allergies, an English bulldog pug mix may not be your best option.
A Pug English bulldog mix is a fantastic dog to have around. It’s sweet and loving. Although they’re delicate and require tender care, they’re worth the trouble.
If you are still looking for another pug crossbreed, visit our blog for more options.